What about the “No Nit Policy?”
The “No Nit Policy” is a common, but somewhat controversial, school policy that excludes a child from school if any nits are found on the child’s head. The American Head Lice Information & Resource Center (AHLIRC) supports the “No Nit Policy” with some reservations. No child should be forced out of school for long periods because of a head lice infestation that won’t go away despite a parent’s best efforts.
Clients who come to the new Beaverton lice treatment salon will be lice and nit free after one treatment – guaranteed. Clients are given a 30-day guarantee as well as free lice checks for 90 days, discounts on products, treatments and more. Lice removal treatments last, on average, between 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on length, thickness of hair and severity of infestation. Your children should be able to return to school, lice and nit free in accordance with the “No Nit Policy”.
The new LKY Lice Treatment Salon is located in Beaverton at 8225 SW Cirrus Drive – Beaverton, OR – 97008. To make an appointment for a lice check or Portland OR lice treatment, please call 503.574.ITCH (4824). For more information about Lice Knowing You© Inc and our Portland lice clinic please visit www.liceknowingyou.com.
Did You Know: Lice Facts
- Head lice have been around since the beginning of recorded time – it’s true. Tracing the origins of head lice can take you back some 3 million years!
- Head lice do not come from the dirt or air or spontaneous generation. Head lice come from other head lice, just like every other species. Head lice is thought to have originated in primates, and has adapted to the mostly-hairless human body.
- Head lice are contracted by head-to-head contact with an infested person or through contact with that person’s belongings. You can get lice from using a brush from a friend who’s been infested, from wearing hats that might be infested, and from bedding – such as borrowing pillows that might be infested.
- Pets do not transmit head lice to humans or vice versa. Head lice don’t actually jump or fly, and they’re only interested in humans.
- Head lice can live off a human head for up to 48 hours and a louse lives on a head for approximately 30 days. A hatched nit needs a human blood meal within 45 minutes to survive.
- Nits (lice eggs) are attached to one side of a hair shaft at an angle. Nits are usually white to light grey in color and do not come off easily. Tip – if it crumbles in your fingers, it is probably not a nit. We recommend our Shepherd Method™ of Strand-By-Strand Nit Removal which is considered by many experts to be the most thorough and effective head lice removal technique in the world.
- Head lice like clean, healthy heads the best! Having dirty hair, does not necessarily mean you have lice.
- If you have been exposed to head lice, check your head every few days for 3-4 weeks to make sure you are not infested.
- Never use products containing Lindane, a powerful neurotoxin banned for use in the United Kingdom and given a thumbs down by Consumer Reports. The Centers of Disease Control recommend against using many of these chemical lice treatments because of the danger to small pets and children. Lice Knowing You© offers Citramint™ Repellant Lice Removal products which are all natural, organic lice treatment products. They are pesticide, chemical, sulfate and paraben free. We care about keeping your family head lice free in a safe and healthy way.
- Smothering head lice with olive oil is an excellent treatment option for eliminating pediculicide-resistant head lice. One of our favorite in-home products for lice removal is our Glue Gone Concentrate which is a blend of natural enzymes clinically proven to help loosen and dissolve stubborn nits. The Glue Gone Concentrate is made of naturally occurring, non-bacterial, readily biodegradable, enzymatic solution. We suggest that if you are using one of these products that you also use our Professional Oil Blend for most effective head lice treatment.
- Manual nit picking is a necessary part of any lice treatment program. “Bottom line…No device, treatment or product is the miracle cure for head lice. The only 100% certain way of getting rid of head lice is to comb out all lice and nits from the head. All it takes is one viable nit missed and your head lice issue will return – often worse than when you originally started,” says Nancy Gordon, Owner and CEO of Lice Knowing You©, Inc.
- Please inform the school, and/or daycare and parents of your child’s playmates if you discover head lice on your child. Head lice are not dangerous and can be eliminated if you stay informed and are persistent.
Lice Knowing You©, Inc is the only guaranteed professional lice removal in Portland. We will be celebrating the grand opening of our new location on June 11, 2011, from 10am-1pm. In the mean time come see the experts at liceknowingyou.com for more information about lice treatment in Washington or our new Portland lice clinic.
Help Us Celebrate our Beaverton-Portland Grand Opening!
We’re having a party! Come help us celebrate the grand opening of our lice treatment salon in Beaverton, OR on 6/11/11, from 10a-1p. There will be raffles, coupons, free lice checks and discounts on our all natural, organic lice treatments.
The new Lice Knowing You© Treatment Salon is located in Beaverton, OR at 8225 SW Cirrus Drive – Beaverton, OR – 97008. To make an appointment for a lice check or treatment, please call 503.574.ITCH (4824).
Lice Knowing You© uses a scientifically proven process to completely rid the hair of lice and nits quickly and thoroughly. We are the only trained and certified head lice removal experts in Washington State. We utilize the Shepherd Method™ of Strand-By-Strand Nit Removal which is considered by many experts to be the most thorough and effective head lice removal technique in the world. All of our organic lice treatment products used during treatment are 100% natural and non-toxic, and are proven to kill lice and nits. Our natural lice treatment is completely safe for babies and pregnant women.
For more information about Lice Knowing You©, Inc and our Portland lice clinic please visit www.liceknowingyou.com or http://portlandliceclinic.com/